Friday, December 30, 2011

my new years anti-resolution list...

The smell of gunpowder from previously exploded firecrackers, cheap champaigne, and the endless mail advertisements for the nearest 24 hour gym are all good signs of another year coming to a close.  Now is the time people all over sit down with pen and paper in hand and write their lists of things they plan to accomplish or initiate before the end of a new year.  I, personally, seem to think of these resolutions as somewhat of a let down. Especially when circumstances arise beyond our control that prevent us from acheiving these goals.  So, I decided to do something a little different this year.  This year, I decided to create what I like to call a "New Year's Anti-Resolution" list.  You are reading it right.  Its a list of things I plan on NOT doing this year.  Circumstances beyond our control can keep us from DOING something, but less likely to keep us from NOT DOING something.  But, this wont be as easy as it sounds... I know, I do like shortcuts when possible, but this isnt quite a short cut.  The rule is, it cant be things I dont do anyway.  Just read my list and you will see what I mean.  If any readers want to post an anti-resolution of their own in the comments, feel free-but dont worry, I wont hold your first born in case you break your anti-resolution!  Have a great New Year!

1.  Although I am not a "huggy" or "lovey" type person, I will do my best to NOT hesitate to let those I care about know that I care. 

2.  I will NOT waste as much time as I used to.  I would say I would try to manage my time better, but then that would defeat the purpose of an Anti-Resolution list...

3.  I will NOT avoid making contact with the elliptical from time to time.  More than just dusting it off or moving it to sweep around it, but actually possibly using it the way it was designed.

4.  I will NOT promise to go on a diet, but instead attempt to make lifestyle changes that are healthier than my existing lifestyle.

5.  I will NOT avoid building on my current faith in Christ.  I will NOT remain content with the current 'time to time' relationship we have.

6.  I will NOT allow myself to always resort to procrastination.  (in other words, I will attempt to stop procrastinating, but this too is defiant of the anti-resolution concept)

7.  I will NOT allow my anxiety control my ability to find a new church home. 

8.  I will NOT allow things that normally bother me, to always get the best of my thoughts and reactions. 

9.  I will NOT clutter my head with judgements of my own actions, or the actions of others, as I know that no one can say for 100% certain what they would or wouldnt do in another persons shoes.

10.  I will NOT be hard on myself when I dont feel like I "measure up" as a mom, student, wife, or friend.

11.  I will NOT compare myself with my friends and how they handle similar things.  I am not them, nor they me.  Everyone views life differently, and thats ok.  All I know is what I have learned from my own seat in the classroom.  I couldnt tell you what they see from their chair.  Doesnt mean I wont listen to insight from where they sit, but doesnt mean I have to act accordingly.

12.  I will NOT put myself in a position to feel 'superior' to anyone.  This is something I have always tried to do, but hey... we are all guilty of it at some time or another.  Just because I make some superior choices, doesnt mean I am superior.

13.  I will NOT sit aside and wish for an opportunity to do work on God's behalf.  Opportunities dont just fall in our laps, right?

14.  I will NOT hesitate to brush the dog's teeth-whether he likes it or not.  I will also NOT trim his claws myself whenever possible! 

15.  I will NOT keep letting my clothes pile up all the time to where I spend hours on end trying to fold and put away piles and piles of clothes! 

speaking of number 15, that reminds me that its time to wrap this list up.  I think 15 is a good list, huh?  If not, well you all will have to suck it up as its all I have at the time.  Nothing too significant, and nothing on this list is impossible-so long as i seek the right source for help.  Good luck with your lists and would love to see what some of you put!  I may borrow a few if I feel like I could benefit too!

4 comments:

  1. I will NOT say yes when I mean NO!!!!!

    I have to post anonymous, but it me...Your Fairy god mudah. Love the list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2, 3, and 6... Yes you will. We're human, it's what we do. It's our ability to "get back on the horse" that makes us who we are.

    10. Right on.

    11. Learning from all aspects makes us better. Compare, but don't forget to contrast. There in lies the key.

    12. Why? It's fun and makes us feel better as a person.

    13.
    Sure they do, making opportunities is called working for your own betterment. And though he allows us to do things for his glory, as stated here http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Isaiah+45%3A7&version=KJV he doesn't need us to do good or evil. Be yourself, God will work with that, don't force it. If you are doing his work others will see it without you having to say it. Saying you're doing his work cheapens it.

    14. I'm sure Willie wouldn't mind you skipping this one. :)

    We love y'all.

    -us

    ReplyDelete
  3. not quite sure who ;) is, but i like your take on things.. however,i must clarify #13.. i agree-saying it cheapens it. dont let the one hand know what the other is doing-or something along those lines. i am totally not a pat myself on the back type person, and i kinda like it like that! but as far as the rest of what you posted, that makes sense! just didnt want anyone to be mistaken in my purposes behind number 13! thx for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like numbers 5,7, and 13. Brings me joy to hear that you are doing that. I wish you luck with the new year. Stay strong, but don't corrupt yourself while doing so.

    ReplyDelete